Today I had installed VMware Update Manager (5.5 Environment) with its default settings for downloading patches. I wanted to check and also change the path of this location. After looking within the VI client under the update manager configuration tab I could not see any reference of where this location is.
VMware has an article which describes how to see and change the location of this repository KB1004152.
1. Open vci-intergrity.xml file which by default is at C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vci-integrity.xml. If you are using 64-bit Windows then the default location would be C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vci-integrity.xml
2. Search for "patchstore" and you should see something similar to below displaying what the current patch repository path is
3. Modify the path to what you would like it to be which I have got below as "D:\Patch\" and save the file
4. The new location would be empty so at this point you could copy the old directory's data to the new location. Please Note If your old location is like my one under "ProgramData" then you would need to change the view to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" in Windows explorer.
5. Restart Update Managers service in Windows Services
6. Log back in to vCenter and open Update Manager. Go to configuration tab then download settings. Click "Download Now"
7. If you go to your new repository you should see it getting populated with new items.
8. Final step once you are happy with all of it then delete the data from the old repository location to reclaim space.
All information was gather from KB1004152.